The Foundation of Healing
Chronic cellular inflammation due to exposure or consumption of toxins is the number one cause driving most chronic health problems today. If we want to heal the body, we must first fix the cells. In order to fix the cells we must really detoxify the body and true detoxification takes place at the cellular level. We all know that true health comes from the inside out. It is so true that we are what we eat, breathe, drink and surround ourselves with, so we must first look at toxins we have been exposed to in the past as well as what we are ingesting and being exposed to now, in an effort to reduce sources of our cellular inflammation. Environmental toxins in the foods you eat, the products you use and the chemicals you are exposed to may be the most significant reason you’re still suffering with your health condition despite everything you have tried to this point. There are five R’s to true cellular detoxification and the beauty is that they can be used to support most if not all health challenges. They all work synergistically together. When we work on and improve on of the R’s, it positively impacts the other four. The five R’s are the basis to our nutrition and detoxification programs.
The five R’s of true cellular detoxification:
R1 Remove the Source
- Each and every day of our life we are exposed to toxins from multiple sources. Beauty products, deodorants, cleaning products, heavy metals (such as amalgam fillings) and just as important harmful chemical additives to the foods we eat. In addition, a good history may reveal a chemical exposure, mold exposure, or perhaps even an emotional or physical trauma around the time symptoms began. These toxins or toxic exposures drive systemic inflammation at the cellular level leading to congested cells with blunted cell receptors. As a result we begin to see a drop in cellular Glutathione (GSH), our bodies own natural produced antioxidant, decreased ATP production, a decrease in our cells ability to hear and respond to hormones as well as its own ability to eliminate waste or detoxify itself.
- If we don’t remove the sources of the toxins entering the body and driving inflammation and congestion at the cellular level, then any detoxification program is just going to be a temporary solution. This is the first step to our protocol and in my opinion is the most important. Without removing the source, fixing the cells and allowing the body to heal itself is going to be an uphill if not impossible battle.
R2 Regenerating the Cell Membrane
- Reducing inflammation on the cell membrane must be accomplished for normal cell function. Inflammation of the cell membrane driven by the environmental sources listed above damage or blunt cell receptors (integral membrane proteins also known as IMP’s) rendering them incapable of receiving messages. The cell membrane and membrane receptors are what allow the cell to communicate hormonal and other chemical messages to the DNA on the inside of the cell dictating the function of the cells needed processes. In other words inflammation of the cell membrane effects gene expression and hormone function because the blunted receptors are now unable to hear hormonal and chemical messages needed to have normal cell function. ATP production, normal mitochondrial function, sugar and thyroid metabolism, Glutathione (GSH) production, as well as the cells ability to eliminate waste are just few of these processes affected, all vitally important to cellular function and respiration.
- After removing the source, regeneration of the cell membrane has to take place. The funny thing is we have been misled for years about the proper diet necessary to help achieve this goal. What have we been told? Low fat diets, low cholesterol and more grains are the way to go. Really?! Our cell membranes phospholipid bilayer is made of saturated fats and cholesterol! Grains are nothing more that super sugars many loaded with Gluten or other GMO products all of which are contributing to driving the inflammation we are trying to eliminate driving diabetes, thyroid problems, heart disease, obesity, autoimmune and other serious health conditions. Elimination of grains and other sugars and increasing our intake of healthy fats and cholesterols are necessary to repair the cell membranes and help combat these serious conditions. Proper omega 6/3 ratios and cardiolipin are also important to helping heal the cell membrane and the mitochondrial membrane respectively.
R3 Restore Cellular Energy
- Without cellular energy I think it goes without saying, we wouldn’t have the energy to accomplish anything at all. In fact, in really sick individuals such as in severe cases of Lyme disease, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia or thyroid, cellular energy may need to be addressed first in order for the cell to be able to handle detoxification or other steps necessary to heal the cell. ATP is what the cells burn for energy and without it nothing happens. An obvious sign of lack of ATP production or mitochondrial dysfunction would be lack of energy; however lack of ATP can also be related to memory problems, hormonal problems, digestive problems and more. Decreased ATP has been linked to the NO/ONOO cycle which has been associated with chronic and unexplainable illnesses such as MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). For this reason I always pay close attention to R3 when starting a new client. Raising ATP production by adding nutrients needed to make ATP or building more mitochondria (mitochondrial biogenesis) will help down regulate the NO/ONOO cycle and allow the remainder of our treatment to be much more effective. The difficult problem to overcome was getting the nutrients needed to produce more mitochondria and ATP into the cell when the cell membrane is still inflamed. A great product eNRG now helps us accomplish this.
R4 Reduce Cellular Inflammation
- It is imperative to reduce inflammation on the cell membrane to affect proper cell function and gene expression. Doing so will help us achieve long lasting health. There are three main areas of focus that drive inflammation of the cell membrane.
- The first is the control of glucose and insulin. Obviously the best way to do this is to eliminate sugar from the diet. Our diet recommendations are high in good saturated fats, moderate in protein and very low in sugar. This also means NO grains which elevate insulin levels more that sugar! All grains are removed from the diet until cell inflammation has been corrected.
- The second major contributor is bad fats. Polyunsaturated fats, like vegetable oil, oxidize and denature easily turning into bad fats. Trans fats are also no good either and all should be eliminated from the diet. We also need to be careful about fish oil because many on the market are polyunsaturated, fragile and in the wrong ratios creating omega 3 dominance, damaging the mitochondrial membrane leading to decrease in cellular energy and even DNA damage. Vista is a great product we use because it prevents the ingestion of omega’s in the wrong ratio and also contains cardiolipin which will protect and help heal the mitochondrial membrane.
- The third is toxins, which in most experts’ opinion, are the largest driver of inflammation in the body. Heavy metals, household products used daily for cleaning or pest control, amalgam fillings, mold, halides in our tap water and the list goes on. We must remove these toxins from the body to the best of our ability in order to eliminate the chronic inflammation which is disrupting cell function, hormones, effecting gene expression (epigenetics) and driving most chronic health problems. Another great product we use to down regulate inflammation and the NO/ONOO cycle is EPIC.
R5 Reestablish Methylation
- Methylation is a crucial process in the body and is largely involved in the turning on and off of genes affecting their expression (epigenetics). Methyl groups also help to protect our DNA, and when methyl groups are depleted stressors such as toxins, and inflammation can turn on bad genes. There is a principle theorized by Dr. Alan Vinitsky which he coined “The Methylation Priority Principle” that suggests that there is a hierarchy of importance as to how the body uses methyl groups with survival being at the top of the list. In other words, in times of stress, the body will use methyl groups to adapt to the situation for survival at the expense of the protection of DNA and bad gene expression. The body knows its first priority is survival; unfortunately depleting methyl groups leaves DNA and other processes vulnerable to other problems.
- Stress is number one on the list for depleting methyl groups in the body. Whether physical, chemical or emotional stress, the body doesn’t discriminate, it’s going to use the methyl groups to adapt. Methyl groups needed to initiate the stress response are also needed to shut it down. The problem is that if someone has been under prolonged stress or are so depleted due to multiple stressors, they don’t have the methyl groups needed to shut the stress response down. This can be a huge problem, leaving the individual in a chronic sympathetic (stress response) state that can lead to a whole host of other problems. The product MORs helps us restore methyl groups in the body to help us shut down the stress response, protect our DNA and turn off bad genes and their expression. It is a very important part of our program in helping our patients overcome their health challenges.
Call the office now at 407-522-5858 to see if I can help you with your health challenge.
* Content Source: Dr. Pompa. The 5 R’s of True Cellular Healing and Detox are created by Dr. Dan Pompa