One of the most common questions we get here at Total Health & Rehab is what the difference is between physical and traditional medicine. For starters, Physical Medicine is performed by physicians known as physiatrists that specialize in treating a variety of medical conditions that may be affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. Physiatrists are also required to complete four years of medical school in addition to four years of residency training.
Although traditional medicine might always be best for treating acute and life threatening illnesses and injuries; it has been proven ineffective at preventing and curing chronic disease. Further, the costs related to traditional medicine continue to rise at unprecedented rates. Physical Medicine presents a more cost effective approach via stressing prevention and the importance of taking care of your body via healthy diet habits, exercise and stress reducing techniques. However, Physical Medicine is not a quick fix for any condition that you may be suffering from since it requires dedication and time for your body to heal within.
Physiatrists work in a variety of settings including hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation centers, outpatient rehabilitation centers and private practices. Even though they don’t perform surgery, according to the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, “physiatrists perform a variety of procedures in an effort to maintain medical stability and provide secondary prevention of disability.” Areas of focus typically include:
- Neurorehabilitation – Examples: Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease
- Pain medicine – Examples: Chronic Pain Management, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (previously named Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy), Back Pain, Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Musculoskeletal care – Examples: Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Back Pain and Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
- Sports injuries – Examples: Achilles Tendonitis, Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Turf Toe, Medial & Lateral Epicondylitis, DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitis, Rotator Cuff Pathology, Acromioclavicular Separation, Biceps Tendonitis, Stress Fractures, Concussion
- Post-operative care – Examples: Joint Replacement, Organ Transplantation, Left-Ventricular Assistive Devices, Cardiac / Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Pediatric functional and developmental disorders – Examples: Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, Down Syndrome
- Specialized rehabilitation – Examples: Fine Arts (music, dance, vocal), Cancer, Cardiac, Pulmonary, Family Training (for home care), Pelvic Pain, Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Palliative Care (http://www.aapmr.org/career-center/medical-students/physical-medicine-and-rehabilitation-faqs#6)
Total Health & Rehab offers team approach by providing you with physical medicine, physiotherapy, spinal decompression, functional medicine, acupuncture care, and an experienced Chiropractor. We provide a healing environment for patients who are seeking an alternative or compliment to conventional medicine. We strive to discover the root cause of your health problems and not just put a temporary bandage on them. If you are suffering from any of the following issues, then you are strongly encouraged to schedule a free consultation as soon as possible by calling 407-522-5858:
Our office is proud to have, all in one location, the eyes and hands of a medical doctor, physical therapist, and chiropractor Orlando FL. If you’re in pain, we understand how difficult it can be just to get through the day..
Stop suffering needlessly.
Call the office at 407-522-5858 for your free consultation & e-book, and let’s get you moving towards being pain free and healthy!
We have had great success in the treatment of:
- Auto Injuries
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder)
- Shoulder pain
- Hip Pain
- Arm Pain, Leg Pain or Numbness and Tingling in the Arms or Legs
- Knee pain
- Disc herniations